CONNECT WITH US

  • White Facebook Icon
  • White Twitter Icon
  • White Instagram Icon
  • White YouTube Icon
  • White LinkedIn Icon

Visit-Whitehaven 2013-2019 part of Cumbria Media. (C) All rights reserved. Permission must be obtained to reuse published materials.

Example of unlimited business directory listing.

DIXONS department store.

J Dixon and Son Ltd operate Dunmail Park Shopping Centre having purchased the site in the early 1980s to redevelop and open the regions first covered mall. 

 

In 1988, when J Dixon and Son Ltd became involved in Dunmail Park they already had over 100 years of history behind their name.

In 1882, Joseph Dixon purchased a joinery and undertaking business in Whitehaven and renamed it Joseph Dixon Art Furnisher. During the following years Joseph designed and made furniture with his wife, a seamstress with an impeccable reputation, who produced fashionable curtains and covers which were in high demand in the Victorian era. The business flourished and in 1887 it was relocated from Queen Street to Lowther Street to allow the business to be closer to Whitehaven Castle the home of their best customer the Earl of Lonsdale. Expansion occurred in 1933 as they started trading from Murray Road, Workington.

 

In 1939 the company stopped designing and producing their own furniture to allow an increased focus on the requirements of their retail customers and whilst furniture became limited during the Second World War to what was known as utility furniture, which was only available with a requisite docket, the stores continued to trade well during these difficult times. After the Second World War, a number of changes were made to the business and in 1956 it became a limited liability company named J Dixon & Son Ltd (it continued to be known as Dixons to its customers.) An additional property was purchased in Lowther Street, Whitehaven and the store on Murray Road was relocated to Oxford Street, Workington. 

 

A further property was purchased in the early 1970s as the Whitehaven store continued to grow. During the mid-1970s the Whitehaven store was partially demolished and a purpose built modern department store was built behind the listed front façade, which remained. As part of the redevelopment a restaurant was added the top floor, which is as popular today as it was when it opened. The undertaking business closed in 1974 and in 1978 the business expanded into clothing, china products and kitchen ware.

After the successful opening of Dunmail Park and since the turn of the millennium, J Dixon & Son Ltd has continued to grow and develop its customer base. With successful forays into selling products on the internet using both its own online store and other stores it has been able to expand its customer base not only nationally but internationally.

Contact Us direct!

Subscribe to our newsletter

Subscribe for Updates

Visit us at: Dixons Department Store. Lowther Street. Whitehaven. Cumbria.

Contact: 01946 692351.

Email: Info@dixonshomestore.co.uk  Find us on Facebook & Twitter:

  • Wix Facebook page
  • Wix Twitter page

Our Social Feeds